Friday, December 20, 2013

The birth story no. 2

On 9/12/13, I started to dilate - 2.5cm with random contraction. As my gynae was going away on 13/13/12, we had no choice but to schedule to induce the baby on 11/12/13. 

10am - induced with a tablet. Just like the first time, we were whisked off to walk around and have our lunch. We ended up in Ippudo Ramen.  Somehow the ramen tasted better with contractions and anxiety. 

1pm - checked into the hospital. As the midwife was about to administer a bottle of Fleet into my rear-end, I got a call from daddy M from the registration counter telling me that there was no single ward (not even the suite) available because 11/12/13 was an auspicious date!! I was not prepared to share a room with a stranger and not having daddy M to spend the nights with me. No way Jose!  "I don't know, do something about it!" was what I could say before the effects of Fleet took over.  

2pm- Delivery room. Midwives: "What's your pain score upon 10?", SK:"1.5, but I would like to request for epidural. You know, just in case..."

2.30pm- there was a suite available and we immediately snatched it! Think of the $$ later... Apparently there were 42 babies born on 11/12/13 with 18 scheduled c-section! 

3pm- happy-dural'ed and numbness came.

From 3-6pm I just rested, whatsapp my progress to friends and watched a weird show on channel 5 about speed dating!

6pm - fully dilated! But baby's heart beat started to drop and I was given an oxygen mask to breath in/out. Everyone in the room looked stressed- the midwife, the gynae, daddy M but nobody said anything much but "Just breath..."

6.30pm- Pushing started but I couldn't really do it right because of the effects of epidural. I was shivering too (another side effect of epidural). Gynae tried foreceps but baby refused to come out! So she tried vacuum. The room's atmosphere got a liitle more tensed ( I was still on the oxygen machine)...  And at 7.02pm, she finally arrived!! 2.595kg and 47cm. No tears of joy though but sighs of relief that she came safely without the need for emergency c-section...

It took us 2 days to decide on calling her Lauren which means victory of wisdom. Other contenders were Maxine (the greatest) and Rebekah (the captivating one).  So now we have 3 wise men at home including daddy M :)

It was a painless delivery according to Isaiah 66:7 - Before she was in labour she gave birth; before her pain came, she gave birth....

Thank you Jesus!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Hi, I am giving birth soon and saw your birth story. May I know what is the bottle of Fleet and how does it help the labour process? Thank you so much!