Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A taste of childhood

Found these pictures that M took a couple of years ago. 615-F Tanjung Bunga, 11200 Penang was my childhood address @ granny’s. The house was torn down last year, together with the remaining kampong for development.

When I was living in the house 20+ years ago, there was no gate and no post box. The post man would drop the letters into one of the windows (can’t remember where the house number was though). The condition of the house was probably better and ‘warmer’ than the picture when we lived there but the green surrounding remain the same.
The house faced a mini fruit plantation (maintained by uncle 2) with starfruit, mangosteen, banana and sour sop trees. Trees seemed to be our invisible fence, separating us from our neighbours.
Though there was no gate, it was safe and anyone could just walk into our compound… Those were the days… Hopefully some day I may find more old pictures of the house’s interior to share…

2 comments:

Majimo said...

I have always loved the picture of the letter box, and to be honest when I took the picture I did not realise it was your house, until I saw Uncle 4 walking in.

I am glad I managed to take this picture before they tore down the place.

Shhhhhh said...

How come you never tell us the house was torn down?
Ah... i missed those days!