Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Revival of patriotism

Either daddy M is aging or I am only starting to discover that my husband is passionate of his country. I hissed at his idea of hanging the Singapore flag outside our house to welcome National Day next week. Apart from not wanting to ‘taint’ our new home’s landscape, I simply couldn’t equate hanging flags to patriotism.

From my recollection, my dad and father in-law are the only two people who would proudly display their country’s flag to 'celebrate' national day. I attribute the action to their life experience in seeing how their countries respectively fought for independence in the 1950s and 60s.

Since he couldn’t convince me with a big flag in the new house, daddy M secretly bought a mini-flag and stuck it on the CAR while I was away on a short business strip!!

I crack up every time I see the car now, thinking “ OMG, my husband is becoming an uncle! Please God, don’t let anyone I know see me hoping into/out of this car!”. Perhaps patriotism has long been forgotten, since my move to Singapore. I think I will be torn as to which country’s flag to hang at gunpoint.

No comments: