Monday, July 5, 2010

Seasons of change

Parenthood has taught me to accept changes, more than ever. Sometimes these changes caught me off guard. A few months back when bb S first refused to latch for no reason, I cried, secretly feeling a sense of loss. Then there was when she started going to school which I had to fight against my own separation anxiety, trying to let go. Today as i looked at my decreasing milk supply, i know that the days of breastfeeding are numbered, and i suddenly felt sad. Unlike some, I do enjoy breastfeeding, perhaps largely due to my "Provider" personality*.

I know changes are part and parcel of life and practical mothers probably snigger at me for having time to feel the change, but I guess I am just sentimental at heart .

*According to the Keirsey's Four Temperaments, Providers (a sub-category of Guardian) take it upon themselves to insure the health and welfare of those in their care, but they are also the most sociable of all the Guardians, and thus are the great nurturers of social institutions such as schools, churches, social clubs, and civic groups. Wherever they go, Providers happily give their time and energy to make sure that the needs of others are met, and that social functions are a success.

No comments: