Thursday, January 24, 2013

Soul nourishment


Perhaps having quiet time by myself, reading the word of God in the morning is what I miss most since my return to work after a long break. I could sit in the kitchen for more than an hour with a cup of coffee, sandwich and expound on daily devotionals. It also gave me the chance to embrace my neighborhood. It is almost certain that by 8.30am every morning that I would hear footsteps of stilettos walking past the alley. The old lady next door would also start to hum the same tune, plucking flowers from her garden or doing her laundry.

No wonder George Muller the evangelist said that the most important thing that he had to do every morning was to give himself to the reading of the word of God and to meditate on it, so that his heart might be comforted, encouraged, warned, reproved, instructed…

I know that the peace that I felt during these times (although not having to work played a big part) definitely derived from having my soul being nourished. Again, quoting Muller- “How different it is when the soul is refreshed and made happy early in the morning, fromwhat it is when the service, the trials, and the temptations of the day come upon one without such spiritual preparation.”



No comments: