Thursday, July 9, 2009

Amalfi Coast cuisine in Singapore?

*If you're also a follower of M's blog, sorry, it's on the same topic!*

We’ve seen this restaurant around and always wonder how a posh-looking Italian restaurant survives in the whoopee whoop of Jalan Gelanggang. It’s tugged in the midst of neighbourhood shophouses which included a childcare, interior design and mechanical shop. We finally patronized the place 2 nights ago.

The 1st impression was bad - We were the only customers, the waitress was blur, the Italian chef seemed confused by my requests, the wait was long (only because I was pressed for time) and the pricing definitely wasn’t neighbourhood standard. So I sulkily waited for our food, expecting it to be a disaster.

BUT , my linguine marinara and M’s linguine with prawn and pesto turned out to be SUPERB! I’m a boring diner when it comes to Italian and usually only order marinara or tomatoe based pasta. So I think I’m qualified to be a marinara pasta connoisseur :) . I can safely say that their marinara is the best, after Da Paolo Serene Centre and topped Valentino!.

The dessert- fried egg plant covered in chocolate sauce was out of this world!!! (remember, I don’t like dessert)

The restaurant is owned by 2 Italian brothers from the Amalfi Coast and a Singaporean doctor. They also hired a lady chef who spent a few years in culinary school – the ultimate dessert is her signature! Our bill came out to S$66 – absolutely worth it!

So, take a drive out to the North and try this uncovered gem! I wished I had taken some pictures but like I said, I was sulking before the food arrived…

No comments: