Monday, March 23, 2009

Masochist

Call me a masochist because I patronised Wasabi Tei 2 days in a row!

For those who are not familiar, it's a small (16 seats) Japanese sushi-bar-like restaurant at level 5 Far East Plaza. It's run by a couple who are perpetually grumpy but serves cheap and good food. A few 'unspoken' rules that regular patrons obligingly abide:-
  • Prepare to queue
  • Don't complain
  • Don't talk too loud
  • The owner is always RIGHT
  • Place all your orders in 1 shot, 2nd order will be charged 20% more
  • NO special requests
Having said that, the must*trys are:-

  • Chirashi set S$20 - big pieces of fresh sashimi
  • Claypot cod fish S$18 - nice to have on a rainy day. My personal favourite is the chilli dipping sauce!
  • Chawan mushi
  • The grilled saba/fish look nice though I haven't tried
From the 2 consecutive days that I was there, I sort of figured out the "sweet spot" when there is NO queue or short wait - 1.05pm OR 2pm. So if you have a half-day off or long lunch , go and get tortured! It's like an Oliver Twist experience :)

PS: Will update when I figure out the sweet spot for dinner...

1 comment:

wandalingam said...

the claypot cod fish is my personal fave. so disappointed when it was sold out once!