Monday, March 7, 2011

MSKS

Following what SY blogged about her family snippets, I wonder what are the dynamics of MSKS.

Christ-centred marriage. M and I know that Christ is the centre of a marriage. Cynics may call us naive and don’t get us wrong – we are not ‘holy’ or ‘religious’. But real-life statistics have shown that failed marriages around us often lack the intervention of Christ. To us, we need a third party to make a marriage work and it’s none other than Christ. When passion runs dry after honeymoon years (I’m sure there are exceptions) – can a couple still live happily ever after? When arguments get over heated, how do we reconcile and move on? When mistakes are made, how does one forgive their spouse? When temptation arises, how does one overcome?  When financial problems hit, how do we cope? We believe He has all the answers.

Grace parenting.  No condemnation. Guilt free parenting. No condemnation does not mean no disciplining, but letting S know that she is loved no matter what. Jesus, mommy and daddy loves her not on her performance. We advocate praise and encouragement. We want to make her feel secure and significant. We don’t allow vocabulary such as ‘shame shame’, ‘naughty’ or any negative labelling at home. Of course we are not perfect yet and we DO lose our cool. The importance is to know that we are still righteous and continue to bring grace back.  This is our ideal way of parenting and we are learning bit by bit everyday. Even if all else fails, we hope the least she gets is “Jesus loves me”.

Work -life balance.  I don’t belong to the 9 to 5 group and my hours can be erratic at times. But as much as I can, I strive to put family first. M and I made a pact 5 years ago before I accepted the current job that we would remind each other when one of us is ‘consumed’ by work or lose focus on family. I guess it has worked out well all these years. I’m thankful that M can easily hold the fort and take on the hats of daddy & mommy when work requires me be away. I like my job, 80% of the time. So until I find something better (in my eyes), I will continue to do what I’m doing…

Group hug .  Our daily MUST-do.

_MG_4662

No comments: