Sunday, October 12, 2008

Little sheep


I am a ‘Sunday school teacher’. A phrase often met by disbelief and shock from my colleagues. The little faith that they have don’t think I’m capable of looking after children especially with my stern face when I don't smile.

So I AM a Sunday school teacher. I serve in my church, looking after toddlers from 2 to 3 years old (once every 3 weeks). It’s a big part of my life and something which I enjoyed over the past 5 years and still loving it.

A typical Sunday would include playing, singing, story telling, feeding, diaper changing, pacifying and lots of laughter.

I love the innocent looks of the children. I love their smiles, the tears, the laughter and the hugs. I love it when they snuggle up on my lap … I love it when they just can’t let go of my hand and follow me around in class. It melts me to hear them talk in their Mickey-mouse voice, “Teacher, teacher.. I have a lollipop today’’ , “Teacher, teacher, see my new pink skirt” .. Of course there are challenging times, toy snatching, crying and longing for parents, pushing around etc etc.. BUT they are all blessed and protected! Pooing or peeing is not considered as a challenge though.
I’ve learned a lot from these kids.. I learn what’s the hottest cartoon character in town, the popular patterns and designs of water bottles and school bags and much more..

And even if I end the day with aching bones, I love it! I get to serve!

No comments: