Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Benefit of a fierce face

“Lor cham th’ng” – that’s how I like my Penang Hokkien Mee, ie add some “Lor mee” sauce in the prawn soup. It makes the spicy soup more pungent with herbs, extra savory yet not as sticky as a normal Lor Mee. I think it’s a Penangite thing.
This is my favourite Penang Hokkien Mee from AMK S11 Food Centre, Blk 711, AMK Ave 8, #01-08. The one that I can eat three times a week when Marcel is not around. The snobbish looking vendor raised his eye brows when I first ordered this funky combo but I think he got used to it after my persistent return visits.
I recently found out that not everyone has the privilege to order the funky "lor cham th'ng" combo because my cousin was rudely refused by him when she tried to do the same. Perhaps he caved in to my fierce-looking whole-world-owes-me-money face that could top him, but not my angelic cousin. Haha, never knew that my signature unfriendly-snobbish-look can be so useful.

5 comments:

Sin Yee said...

huh? add lor mee sauce into prawn mee soup ??????

Majimo said...

Yeah apparently it makes the Prawn Mee soup thicker and more wholesome.

Majimo said...

It took me a while to get used to the face. Because always could never tell when she was angry. Once i meet the family things started to fal linto place. I remember a term Shih Erh taught me "Chit Tay Bin".

One up side this Chit Tay Bins gives forth are good smiles. They've all got it, Dad, brother, and SF.

M

meefedtothemax said...

eh? what does chit tay bin mean? is it hokkien?

but yeah, i can imagine that the hawker wouldn't dare refuse SK whatever combo she ordered. heh. "whole-world-owes-me-money" is funny. Dunno about the dad and bro, but xiaofei really has the exact same expression, coupled with the folded arms and the endearingly stubborn set of jaw :) heh. thinking of the grumpy Sk face makes me smile :P

Shhhhhh said...

yea... is hokkien!