Thursday, January 22, 2009

Book worm wannabe

About 6 years ago, in the midst of ‘unruliness’ and reckless lifestyle I somehow resolved to develop my ‘skills’. I picked up golf, learned flower arrangement, joined a toastmasters club, pilates and among other things I determined to read ONE book a month and learn ONE new word everyday. I ended the year with only six books read and probably less than 20 new words added to my vocab list.

I’m hoping to carry on this unfinished resolution this year at a less ambitious pace –ONE book every TWO months?

I am a reluctant reader or rather, the passion died down as I explored life over the years… I could finish one novel a week back in high school (caveat: all in Chinese). YL and I became librarians just to get our hands on popular reads before anyone did :)

So one out of six is down for 2009 with Chasing Harry Winston by Lauren Weisberger (authour for Devil wears Prada). It’s a light and brainless read. Quite Sex-in-the-city like with the usual girl friends and stuff though the ending is a bit haste. Rating: 2.5 out of 5. Next on the list: Everyone worth knowing (All thanks to M who got me a series of her books from India at S$2/each!). I can be hooked on the same author for months or years especailly chic-lit. Chewy can testify to that on Marian Keyes.

No comments: